Pages


Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm on to a new read

This Is Where I Leave YouI finished reading The Help a week ago, and started on This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. My Mom loaned it to me a while back and highly recommended it, though she did warn me there were "some nasty parts" that caught her by surprise. By page 13 I understood, my 82 year old Mom  normally wouldn't seek out a book that includes a detailed description of the sexual acts of cheating adults as described by the husband who found them in bed. But seek out the book she did, as she had requested the book as a Christmas present from my Brother ( we never know what to get her so she gives us a list and then acts over the top surprised when she gets what she asked for).

My Mom is starting to forget some things, though I would hope to be as on top of things as she is at that age. When she got the book she acted as excited as ever, but later confessed to me that she had no idea why my brother had gotten her the book, though she was already reading and enjoying it. She finally expressed her curiosity to my brother as to why he would select that particular book, and he informed her that it was by her request. She can't remember how or where she heard about the book but it must have been an excellent review. So far I am cracking up as I read it, and at the same time feeling everyone's pain. I know already I will recommend the book to members of the book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment