Pages


Friday, March 23, 2012

Great gift for the 90 year old socially conscious guy that has everything

My 90 year old uncle hardly gets out these days -  but when he can - you can find him and my Aunt on Fridays nights at a busy corner of our town, holding protest signs against the wars in Afganistan and before that Iran. Our family runs the gamit from extremely conservative to extremely liberal, so driving past them is either inspirational to some or frustrating to others.

I heard everyone was getting him a gift card for his birthday (they don't have much room in their house for much). Considering his socially conscious leanings, I decided to go with a Llama, well not exactly a Llama - a contribution to http://www.heifer.org/ . I think he will apreciate that I made a donation in his name so that  a family will receive a llama and be taught how to raise it and earn funds to help support themselves.

7 comments:

  1. This is going to sound like I'm making it up, but a friend of mine was once given two actual LIVE llamas.... and he did not at all want them. He lives on a farm, runs his own business, and one Christmas a client of his sent him two llamas as a practical joke. My friend's father who lives on the property had to accept this shipment of llamas and when my friend and his wife returned from a visit, there they were! Two llamas. His kids loved the things, but it took him a long while to sell them. [The llamas... he sold the llamas, not his kids!]
    Your idea of a donation is much more... practical. Sensible.
    -- Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, God bless your aunt and uncle. I love what they are doing! I think this was a GREAT gift. Thanks for sharing! (I also like the comment before mine - haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! These kinds of gifts have so much more use and value, especially in the long term.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your uncle sounds like an amazing man!! Your gift was a great idea!
    Here's My SS

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome gift. I love donating to worthy charities as gifts to those who have everything.

    I had an associate who raised lamas along with his wife. very cute and great spitters too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't find a way to respond to you all individually. Cipriano great story lol! Diane, my friend on occation babysits her sister's lamas when she goes on vacation. Brave girl! And to Vicki, Alyce, Trish and Libby the gift makes the giver and receiver feel great!

    ReplyDelete