Pages


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The best Macaroons I've ever tasted

Macaroons....I don't even want to check how many calories I consumed of these last night. I torn this recipe out of a copy of the LA Times Magazine in 2002. Please note the fold lines and wrinkles. I don't bother to copy recipes - I just fold and stuff into my recipe box!

I guess you just can't have one. My daughter made some for relatives on Saturday - at their house. She brought one for me - I ate it - loved it - and couldn't stop thinking (out loud) about how much I wanted to have another one. Thus last night, my daughter in return for helping her prepare for her "simulation", made them for me. ( She is a nursing student and will be examining a newborn today under the watchful eye of a teacher that she is more than a little intimidated by.)
I ate three! I tried to avoid my husbands rolling eyes...but I noticed. But so what, they came out great, and I will only save a few and give away the rest.....I promise.

The recipe came from the magazine article written by James McNair and it's adapted from his book Afternoon Delights Here it is:
Coconut Macarrons
Makes 1 dozen cookies

14    ounces sweetened shredded coconut, about 4 cups
11/2   cups granulated sugar
1       cup egg whites (from about 8 large eggs)
1/2       cup all-purpose flour
2        teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4        teaspoon salt

Line a baking sheet with kitchen parchment and set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching, until the mixture is fairly dry and stiff, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Using a #20 (1/4-cup) ice-cream scoop with a release mechanism, scoop up level portions of the mixture and place about 1 inch apart on the lined baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to a 350-degree oven and bake until the macaroons are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes, then peel the macaroons from the parchment and place directly on the rack to cool completely. (Macaroons may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment