Pages


Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Edible Garden

My new Vegetable Garden is planted! Ouch! I can't believe how sore I am from just squatting, bending and kneeling for a couple of days. If all goes well, I should be tasting the fruits of my labor this summer - corn, lettuce, onion, bell pepper, pole beans, eggplant, and  strawberries.This in addition to the other vegggies we already planted back in March and are now starting to eat - cucumbers, zucchini and carrots.


When returning some books to the library yesterday I picked up The Edible Flower Garden by Rosalind Creasy. I love the pictures, the easy planting instructions and preparation tips for eating each flower.

I already planted Johnny-Jump-Ups ( tri-color Violas) and placed a large pot in the Garden so that I can  plant some Nasturtiums ( both flowers are edible, the jump-ups taste a little like lettuce).
 I'm contemplating another area in my back yard to use solely for edible flowers. Who knew you could eat a Tulip or a Day lily? Well, I didn't.



I am enjoying From The Garden Up The Story of a First Garden by Amy Stewart, and after reading the chapter on compost ( don't let the chapter title scare you, it is an entertaining book), I'm considering running out and buying a few more bags. I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of  a composter, but who knows, there may be one in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment