Pages


Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Short and good.... How else can I read 100 books???

With everything else going on in my life why did I think I could read 100 books before the end of the year?
Well, I haven't given up, I think I can do it by augmenting my usual reads with some short but good books. I know their out there and though the Brown Eyed Girl's Book Club doesn't seek out books of any particular length ( though some members have thumbs down books for being a little too long, or have requested we give ourselves more time to read before we meet again) we have read books we have enjoyed that have been around 200 pages or less.

Memories of my Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez was a favorite  read of mine and provided a good discussion as I remember. We read several of Alexander McCall Smith's books - Tears of the Giraffe, and The Kalahari Typing School for Men,  both enjoyable and also what I would consider a fast read. Having read Rudolfo Anaya's Bless Me, Ultima  in college as did most of my friends, we were happy to read his Serafina's Stories which entertained us with a number of cuentos/ stories told by the hero of the story Serifina, a Pueblo Indian in 1680 who by entertaining the Govenor with the stories wins the freedom of a dozen Indian prisoners.

So to better my chances of reading 100 books I will include the following  books (that I think won't dissapoint) on my to do list:
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Sijie Dai, Shop Girl by Steve Martin, Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, and Push by Sapphire.

If anyone can suggest any other fast but very good reads it would be appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. Hello! :D
    I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's at a bookstore once and was curious about it. Let me know how you like it!

    -Sofia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then I can recommend a book I just read - Cubana: Contemporary Fiction by Cuban Women. I just returned it to the library, so I don't know how many pages it is. But since it's short stories you read it pretty quickly.

    And thanks for your travel tips on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sofia - will do. I'm sure it's nothing like the movie.

    Chennifer - I'll look for your recommendation on my next visit to the library. I will be looking out for updates on your upcoming trip. I'm sure you'll have some interesting adventures to fill us in on!

    ReplyDelete