Pages


Thursday, April 22, 2010

Would a Brown Eye like Olive Kitteridge?

When ever I finish a book, I consider if I would recommend it to the Brown Eyes - would they like it, find something in it of merit - finish it?We have read many books as a book club, and most of our members are drawn to books that may hold some tragic elements, but don't dwell on the hurts and dissapointments of others.

Though Olive Kitteridge wouldn't be a book I would recommend for our club, I finished it accepting that there wasn't going to be a fix- to tie things up with a pretty little bow for any of the characters.  There were glimmers of hope, understanding and even love in the lives described by Strout that were enough to leave me feeling hopeful. Sometimes, as in this case, hope can be better than a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment